EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2022-05
SUBJECT: ESTABLISHMENT OF THE GOVERNOR’S ENVIRONMENTAL COUNCIL
WHEREAS, Article I, Section 9 of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands Constitution states “Each person has the right to a clean and healthful public environment in all areas, including the land, air, and water”; and
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth government has successfully established a governmental regulatory framework to enforce the environmental standards to protect and preserve the Northern Marianas environment; and
WHEREAS, the responsibility of protecting the environment is shared by all residents of the CNMI community, both private and public; and
WHEREAS, collaboration between members of the public and its government on the critical issues regarding environmental protection, sustainable development, and conservation allows for community ownership in the protection of the Commonwealth’s resources and the sharing of skills, expertise and knowledge to aid the government agencies in implementing their respective mandates; and
WHEREAS, the long-term interest of all residents of the CNMI would be best served through providing members of the public a voice in the critical issues facing its environment and to aid the government in delivering the policies, programs and initiatives that will see the lasting protection of the Commonwealth’s resources for future generations
NOW THERE I, RALPH DLG. TORRES, Governor of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, do hereby order the establishment, within the Executive Branch, the Governor’s Environmental Council with the following structure and goals:
The Governor’s Environmental Council (GEC) shall be chaired by a representative of the CNMI community chosen by the Governor.
Member to the GEC shall be appointed at the Governor’s discretion.
The Governor shall appoint members from various government and non-government sectors who hold backgrounds and expertise in environmental policy, conservation, and environmental activism.
Members to the GEC will serve as Environmental Advisers to the Governor at no expense to the CNMI Government.
Member of the GEC shall be removed at the discretion of the Governor or by a vote of the GEC members.
The GEC shall be advisory to the Governor and its responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
- The formulation of policy initiatives or community activities to encourage environmental protection, conservation, and sustainable development.
- Providing recommendations to the Governor on environmental issues relating to the administration of the Executive Branch and its departments and agencies.
- The creation of detailed reports to advance environmental policy initiatives beneficial to the CNMI population.
- Conducting a review of current environmental laws and policies to determine their efficacy in protecting the environment
- Proposing studies to be conducted related to the CNMI environment to include surveys, valuation studies, cost benefit analyses, and willingness to pay estimations.
- The convening of GEC meetings at least once every three (3) months.
Direction to CNMI Government Departments and Agencies
I direct all departments and agencies of the CNMI Government to fully support and cooperate with the GEC in the performance of this Executive Order.
SIGNED AND PROMULGATED ON THIS 23rd day of March, 2022
RALPH DLG. TORRES