These are direct payments to you from the Federal Government. It will be distributed by the CNMI Department of Finance.
How much will you get?
- Individuals earning up to $75,000 will receive $1,200.
- Couples earning up to $150,000 will receive $2,400.
- For every qualifying child in the household, you will receive $500.
- If you made more than $75,000, your payment will be reduced by $5 for every $100 of income that exceeds the limits. (Ex. If you made $80,000 in 2019, you will receive $950.)
- Single filers with income exceeding $99,000 and $198,000 for joint filers with no children are not eligible.
- Eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for either 2019 or 2018 will automatically receive an economic impact payment of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples and up to $500 for each qualifying child.
How will you receive your stimulus check?
- Stimulus checks will be issued via direct deposit or by check and mailed to the address indicated on the return, or last known address.
When will I receive my stimulus check?
- Payments are expected to be issued by mid-May, as informed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The Department of Finance will provide additional public guidance regarding disbursement dates.
I am a minor, age 17, do I qualify?
- You may qualify if you are NOT claimed as a dependent and must file a return. If your parents claim you as a dependent on their taxes, you’re not eligible. However, CNMI DRT is seeking additional guidance on eligibility requirements.
I have no reportable income for 2019, do I qualify?
- Yes. You must file a 2019 income tax return and report zero income. You also must have a valid social security number and meet the CNMI residency requirements for tax purposes.
I’m a college student. Do I get a check?
- If you’ve been working and filing taxes independently in recent years, you may qualify. If your parents claim you as a dependent on their taxes, you’re ineligible.
(For CW and other work visa holders) My immigration permit has expired in 2020, do I still qualify?
- CWs and other work visa holders are generally eligible. However, DRT is seeking guidance from the IRS on eligibility of resident aliens (including CWs) who were an eligible individual in 2019 for tax purposes, but status is expired in 2020. Please ensure that your CW permit or work visa is valid and not expired.
I have past due child support obligations; will this affect my stimulus check?
- Yes, your past due child support obligations may be offset from your stimulus check.
I have past due income tax obligations; will this affect my stimulus check?
- No, the CARES Act does not allow offsets against federal or local income tax obligations.
I am a Social Security beneficiary; do I have to file a return to receive a stimulus check?
- Yes, but the IRS has informed the Division of Revenue and Taxation that Social Security recipients will need to file a 1040 tax form for 2019 to receive a stimulus check.
My income or dependents may have changed since my 2018 return, will my stimulus check be adjusted?
- The stimulus amount issued based on the 2018 or 2019 return will be adjusted in the 2020 income tax return, only to the benefit of the taxpayer. If you are entitled to additional funds, you will receive the remaining amount. If you received more than you are entitled to, you will not be required to repay the difference in the amount.
I want to opt for direct deposit of my EIP “stimulus check”, where can I go to do this?
- The Department of Finance is currently developing a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the Division of Revenue & Taxation online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail. A press release will be issued as soon as it becomes available.
Is Division of Revenue & Taxation open to receive my income tax return?
- Yes, DRT remains open during normal business hours, Monday-Friday, 7:30-4:30pm, for RECEIVING AND CASHIER SERVICES ONLY.
- Please submit your tax returns in the drop-box available. DRT reminds taxpayers of social distancing and as a courtesy to front line workers, please wear a mask or face-covering when entering the office.
I need to file a return; how long will economic impact payments be available?
- Stimulus checks will be issued through December 31, 2020.
# # #